Alberto El Patron found himself surrounded in a bit of controversy this summer when an incident in an airport with then-girlfriend Paige not only resulted in a domestic abuse investigation being launched, but it also cost him his Impact Global Championship.
El Patron recently spoke to The Orlando Sentinel where he opened up about the situation surrounding his title where he said it was his choice to drop the title.
“When there was a talent meeting about what to do about the title, I raised my hand and said I should give it up,” said El Patron, 40. “I used to work in a place where main eventers were difficult to work with, and I didn’t want to be that person. ‘Here’s the title; give it to someone else. I’ll eventually get it back, but I lost it and I want to earn it. I’ll take responsibility for my actions.’”
Whether or not Alberto decided to drop the title on his own is another story entirely, but it certainly looks like he has a new goal which is to reclaim his title. With the proper motivation and a level head, he very well might make that become a reality soon enough.
Check out some of the trending wrestling news stories below:
- Big main event announced for WWE Fastlane
- Baron Corbin fires back at fan that made fun of his hairline and physique
- Top WWE star will be taking time away from wrestling
- SPOILER: Update on The Undertaker’s status with WWE and it looks like good news
- Sting and Hulk Hogan to reunite next month