Last week, Chris Jericho was announced as Rusev’s replacement as The Undertaker’s opponent at The Greatest Royal Rumble show taking place in Saudi Arabia on April 27. There’s been some speculation online on why this change occurred. It could be something as simple as Jericho requesting the match and/or WWE felt that Jericho vs. Taker was a bigger marquee match that would help sell more tickets.
Former WWE Superstar Taz speculated that the change could have happened because of a tweet sent out by Rusev.
Taz said, “I don’t know what happened. I don’t scour the internet. Maybe Rusev’s injured, maybe something happened or maybe they just changed their mind.”
Taz mentioned Rusev’s tweet from last week that said: “bury me softly, Brother.”
Bury me softly, Brother https://t.co/IWnBvL20Ez
— . (@RusevBUL) April 11, 2018
“I was surprised that Rusev tweeted this because he’s worked there long enough. I’m not surprised if, maybe, [I’m just] speculating. I saw this before I started recording this. Maybe it’s a situation where WWE got ticked off by his tweet. Basically saying, ‘Well, what is that?’ Basically stooging off that you’re gonna lose the match? You’re basically saying, you know, bury me softly, it’s a Casket Match, so you’re basically saying that you’re doing the job. I can see them getting ticked off from that. Yeah, I mean, everybody and their mother probably knows that no one’s beating The Undertaker right now, and that’s no disrespect to Rusev, but you know it’s just not gonna happen. But still, I got a funny feeling that [his tweet] might have ticked them off.”
Taz added that the change could have been because of a different reason. You can listen to his thoughts below:
If you use any portion of the quotes from this article please credit The Taz Show with a H/T to WrestlingNews.co for the transcription.