It looks like Rey Mysterio will not be heading back to WWE anytime soon. Mysterio had been in talks with GFW and WWE but, according to Sports Illustrated, WWE has decided that they will not sign him to a deal. Apparently, Vince McMahon was not thrilled about working with Mysterio’s representation, specifically Konnan.
Konnan and WWE haven’t been on the best of terms since the early 90’s when he left the company before his TV debut as Max Moon. It probably did not help that he has been critical of the company over the years but, as seen with wrestlers like Bruno Sammartino and The Ultimate Warrior, I always figured that Konnan and WWE would eventually mend fences. That is apparently not the case, yet.
For the last couple of weeks, I heard that it would be more likely that he’d sign with Global Force Wrestling since long-time friends Konnan and Alberto El Patron work there and because of the lighter schedule that would still allow him to work independent dates. Mysterio and Konnan were among the wrestlers that were at Jeff Hardy’s CD release party in Nashville on 7/17. That is where the incident between Karen Jarrett and Braun Strowman took place. Mysterio was in town for meetings with GFW management.
GFW is being careful with their spending but they would make exceptions for big name wrestlers and Mysterio would fit that description.
It’s been a busy week full of news. If you’d like to catch up on some of the top stories from this week, check out some of the links below:
- WWE star gone from the company
- Did James Ellsworth just indicate his WWE suspension is over?
- WWE Officials reportedly pitching ideas for Enzo Amore to be moved off Raw
- Did AJ Styles botch the US Title match finish at Battleground after all?
- What is WWE planning for Jinder Mahal vs Shinsuke Nakamura at SummerSlam?
- SPOILER: Is Brock Lesnar really leaving WWE after SummerSlam?