More details continue to come out regarding AEW signing Sting to a multi-year deal after he made his promotional debut last week on AEW Dynamite.
It was reported last week by Dave Meltzer that AEW wanted the idea of the big star from the old generation being back as a regular and will be used on Dynamite as a full-time character instead of making a few appearances a year as he had done in WWE.
Sports Illustrated‘s Justin Barrasso reported today that Sting will have a collaborative relationship with AEW President Tony Khan, which will be contrasting the relationship he had with Vince McMahon.
Per the report, the AEW President was said to have “worked tirelessly” to make the signing happen and did so in secret as no one else including AEW’s four Executive Vice Presidents who didn’t know about the signing until it was finalized. When they did find out about the news they were said to be ecstatic upon learning the big news.
Sources stated that Sting was “thoroughly impressed” with how AEW handled the entire process of signing him as well as already having a long-term plan in place for his debut.
Regarding his promotional debut, it was said that the segment was carefully planned and always had Darby Allin and Cody Rhodes being saved from Team Taz.
Khan was said to be “adamant” that Tony Schiavone make his iconic “It’s Stiiiiiiing!” call when Sting first came out. The big question will be whether Sting will actually wrestle.
Barrasso wrote, “Even with his advanced age, there are plans for Sting to eventually enter the ring in AEW.”
It should be noted that due to him having spinal stenosis that was revealed after his final match in WWE, Sting will still need to be medically clear to compete. Sting will speak about his promotional debut in a sit-down interview with Tony Schiavone on Wednesday’s episode of AEW Dynamite.