UPDATE x2: Apparently there is more to the story behind Austin Aries' release. Click here to read more.
ORIGINAL: It's not clear what the reasoning is but WWE has announced that Austin Aries has been released from the company. The news came in a simple statement: "WWE has come to terms on the release of WWE Superstar Austin Aries. WWE wishes Aries the best in all of his future endeavors."
Aries' last TV appearances was on the 6/13 episode of 205 Live where he announced that he would be taking time off because of health issues. There was nothing to indicate that he would be finishing up with the company. In fact, wrestled at the shows in Tokyo, Japan over the weekend.
Last month, during an interview with USA Today, he said, "As far as what’s next for me from a creative standpoint or what my next move is, that’s to be determined." He continued, "I need to regroup and take a look at the landscape and see where I fit in. … You just have to keep tuned in and find out what’s going to happen."
So, it seems like the nagging injuries were legitimate and he really did need the time off but I wonder if that caused him to ask for his release or if WWE made the decision to let him go for other reasons. His fiancee, Thea Trinidad, was recently signed to NXT and was featured on this week's show as the sister of Andrade Cien Almas. When we get more information on Aries' release, we'll pass it along.
Here are some other hot news items from today:
- Click here for huge spoilers on Sunday's WWE Great Balls Of Fire pay-per-view.
- Former TNA Wrestling head honcho Dixie Carter (yes, really) will be appearing on WWE TV for the first time. Click here to read that story.
- A WWE star is injured and needs knee surgery. Click here for more on that story.
- You'll never guess what WWE is considering doing for the Royal Rumble. Click here for that story.
- A sad and troubling video of a former WWE Superstar has people concerned. Thankfully, WWE has stepped in to help him so hopefully, there is a happy ending. Click here to read that story.