During Busted Open Radio on Sirius XM, Dave LaGreca and Tommy Dreamer shared their lists of the top 10 Undertaker moments of all time. Mark Henry joined them to discuss his time working with the Undertaker.
Dave LaGreca’s picks and comments:
10) Dave LaGreca interviewing Undertaker on last week’s Busted Open Radio: Dave said “Undertaker coming on Busted Open was him saying the character you fell in love with is just a character. I need to go on this talk radio show”
9) Undertaker vs Batista at Backlash 2007: “One of the underrated matches in the Undertaker’s career. I’m more about the matches than the moments and this is a damn good one.”
8) Undertaker vs Edge at WrestleMania 24: “WrestleMania 24 is a very underrated WrestleMania and if I had to make a list of my top 20 WrestleMania matches, this would be on it.”
7) The Undertaker’s entrance at WrestleMania 29: “Very significant for me. His entrances at WrestleMania are one of the selling points each and every year at WrestleMania. This is his number one entrance of all time. It was like he was coming from hell. You see the demons reaching out for him as he was going up those stairs for that entrance ramp against CM Punk.”
6) Undertaker kidnapped Stone Cold Steve Austin from the hospital. “A really good interaction between the Undertaker and Steve Austin”
5) The debut of Undertaker at Survivor Series
4) Hell in the Cell match with Mankind at King of the Ring ‘98: “I’m sure this is on everyone’s list. When you talk about a moment in a match that made your jaw drop, this is one of them.”
3) WrestleMania match that turned out to be Shawn Michaels’ retirement match at WrestleMania 26.
2) The return of the Undertaker March 2, 1998 at Raw with Kane: “That was an amazing promo which I feel is the greatest promo of his career. The way the crowd reacted when he came out is a moment that gives me goosebumps.”
1) WrestleMania 25 match against Shawn Michaels: “I will let you talk about it Tommy because it is also your number 1.
10) The debut of the Undertaker at Survivor Series: “I knew who he was from WCW, but he became this different person. Your debut as a performer has to be in your top 10 because it is what you set to be on the main stage for the amazing career the Undertaker had.”
9) The formation of the Ministry: “The Undertaker was a stable character during these Monday Night Wars. You knew no matter what, no matter how much he was offered to leave, the Undertaker would stay in WWE and just, if you think about all the storylines, even with the Higher Power with Vince McMahon, it was all based on the Undertaker.”
8) The Undertaker was the American Bad-ass against Jeff Hardy, I want to say in a ladder match on Monday Night Raw. “If you think of all the different faces of the Undertaker, even when Viscera crushed his face, and he had the Phantom of the Opera mask, the American Badass was a far stretch from the Undertaker and it got over. He had a Jeff Hardy match and it cemented the Undertaker’s legacy, not only as a great wrestler, but he was still the Undertaker in a different variation.”
7) The Last Ride Documentary: “For me, I got to hang out with the Undertaker…You are getting to hear these stories that so many people have clamored for. You’re getting to see the different side of the Undertaker. You get to see the side of a husband and a father. To me, it opened up that mystique about the Undertaker.”
6) The unification of Kane and Undertaker: “When these two guys came together, it gave yet another version of the Undertaker as the Brothers of Destruction.”
5) The Undertaker vs Edge at WrestleMania 24: “For Edge to main event WrestleMania was big for him. An amazing character can always help other people. When you think of this feud they had, it helped elevate Edge to his iconic status as well.
4) Undertaker vs Mankind Hell in the Cell: “This is an iconic match. This was a way to end all feuds. Everybody has glimmers of the Undertaker tossing poor Mick Foley off the top through the table or choke slamming him through the cage.”
3) WrestleMania 26: “For same reason you mentioned”
2) The Boneyard Match: “Due to the cinematic beauty, for a while, we were not seeing the Undertaker in the light we wanted to see the Undertaker. There were a lot of people saying the Undertaker is getting old. There were a lot of people saying the Undertaker is not the Undertaker anymore. After the streak ended, it was kind of a let down of the fans. The Roman Reigns match wasn’t as good. The second Roman Reigns match wasn’t as good. They had the Saudi Arabia match where HHH got hurt. This brought back the prominence of the Undertaker and how we should always remember the Undertaker and gave a new light to the Undertaker that we can still see for many years to come.”
1) WrestleMania 25 match with Shawn Michaels: “This match was so special. It had that big prize fight feeling.”
Mark Henry talking about working with the Undertaker: “It was the best experience in my wrestling career…It changed the way that I worked. It made me more of an attack dog. I relied on all strength. Undertaker said you can’t rely only on that. I learned to work better and longer matches.”
If you use any portion of the quotes from this article please credit Busted Open Radio with a h/t to WrestlingNews.co for the transcription. Busted Open Radio can be heard on SiriusXM’s Fight Nation (Channel 156), Monday through Saturday from 9 am to Noon eastern.