UFC Heavyweight Champion Daniel Cormier continues to speak out on former UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar and how their fight didn’t get booked.
Back in April, it was revealed that Lesnar was retiring from competition and won’t attempt a comeback. This was a change in plans for the promotion as they had been trying to get a fight done between the two fighters.
Now, Lesnar is back on WWE television as he recently won the Money in the Bank briefcase. Cormier told ESPN’s Marc Raimondi his side of what he thinks happened when Lesnar was in talks with the UFC. At the end of the day, it all comes down to money and the change that UFC made with their pay-per-view events.
“I’m sure Brock couldn’t come to terms with the UFC, in terms of financial offer. There’s a lot of uncertainty in the world of mixed martial arts right now in terms of pay-per-view. It’s not as straight forward as when Brock was there.”
“I think when Brock looked at the landscape of the sport, what they were offering him, Brock said, ‘I can make guaranteed money [in WWE].’ Not work as hard. He’d have to work his ass off [to fight me] and it’s probably gonna go the bad way. Whereas with the WWE, it’s usually determined in his favor. So, as a businessman, I think Brock made the right decision.”
— Marc Raimondi (@marc_raimondi) May 30, 2019