Drew Gulak’s departure from WWE was discussed on Wrestling Observer Live. As previously noted, it all boils down to WWE not wanting to give him a raise but he may not be gone for long.
Alvarez said, “On Saturday night I suddenly got word, ‘it sucks about Gulak’ was the exact text message I got…somebody was very upset that Gulak was gone.”
“So I checked around and there were two stories,” Alvarez continued. “One was that his contract expired and one that he had been released. So what happened was, he was negotiating a new contract and the contract expired after SmackDown and he had wanted a raise.”
Alvarez noted how WWE was giving everyone a raise up until the coronavirus pandemic and some people were offered double the money they were making on their previous deal.
Alvarez contained, “so Drew Gulak wanted a raise and they said no and then they pulled the contract offer so if you want to argue that he wasn’t actually released then you’re welcome to because his contract did expire but they let him go because he wanted more money.”
Dave Meltzer added that Gulak is being represented by Barry Bloom and while the belief is that he is gone from WWE, it has been hinted that this is not a dead issue, which means that he could end up back with the company if a new deal can be worked out.
Due to their TV contracts with NBCUniversal and FOX Sports, WWE is still on pace to make more money this year than any previous year in company history so it’s interesting that they have not been willing to give Gulak a raise.