Despite denials from WWE sources, it was confirmed by Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that the reason why WWE dropped Apollo Crews’ is that his last name sounds like the Parkland school mass murderer Nikolas Cruz. This was confirmed by internal e-mails that were sent out and the decision was made by Vince McMahon. The story was originally reported by Daniel Wood from Sportskeeda.
WWE claimed that they never sent out an email to the media about the name change. The news about their reasoning for the name change was something that they did not want to get out publicly.
Going forward, he will simply be known as Apollo.
Catch up on some of the trending news stories from the past 24 hours by clicking below:
- WrestleMania could be losing a big match this year
- WWE news on if Roman Reigns is really in trouble for what he said on Raw about Brock Lesnar
- Sheamus shows off gnarly picture of his war wounds after Raw
- WATCH: The Miz wasn’t happy at all after Raw this week
- SPOILER: Asuka might not face Alexa Bliss at WrestleMania