Connect with us

Photo Credit: WWE

Wrestling News

Johnny Gargano: “I want to wrestle until I’m 40, and that’s 6 years away. So I only have 5 years to maximize whatever I want to do in this.”

Johnny Gargano appeared on “Insight with Chris Val Vliet” this week to talk about being able to say goodbye to NXT, when he knew he wasn’t going to re-sign, what he’d like to do post-wrestling, and whether or not the door is still open with WWE.

Gargano talking about being able to say goodbye to the NXT audience:

“I feel very content. It was just a time period in my life where that chapter was closed as well as I could close it and end the story the right way and to get to thank people. I thanked people that don’t even work for the company anymore. I had no restraints. I just went out here and spoke from the heart. It was not scripted,” he said.

“To be able to do that showed an incredible amount of trust. That shows the relationship that I had and continue to have with the people in NXT where they trusted me to go out on live television with a live microphone. I could have said, ‘I’m signing with this place’, and slammed down the microphone. I could have literally done anything. But I have way too much respect for everyone in that building and for that company.”

“But now, I just want to go and do my own thing, make my own choices, and see what’s out there. You get a rare time to let your deal run out. A lot of people don’t get that opportunity. They are signed for years and years. I knew my deal was coming up and I just wanted to have this time to reassess things.”

On when he knew he wasn’t going to re-sign with WWE:

‘I think the last year I kind of knew that. I had accomplished everything that I had wanted to in NXT. That’s not to say I couldn’t have gone to RAW or SmackDown and done other things. I just knew that I didn’t want to re-sign, but there was always that option of maybe I do want to re-sign.”

“I had made my mind up, but there was always that 1% chance that I could, so there was a 99% chance that I wouldn’t re-sign. But I feel like when Candice got pregnant, that was when that 1% went away. I don’t want anyone to be in charge of my time during the time period where I am with Quill. I don’t want to be sitting at home and have a Connecticut number call me and say, ‘You need to be at this show’, or ‘’You need to make this appearance.’ I just wanted to have a clean slate, leave, and either come back in the future, or go elsewhere,” Gargano said.

Gargano was asked if he knows what he wants to do after wrestling:

“It’s hard. Obviously the name Johnny Gargano in wrestling will always be beneficial money-wise. People will want to pay to see me wrestle, meet me, and learn from me. In reality, I have a job for life. I could go back to WWE and be a producer, be a coach or train people,” he shared.

Gargano was asked if the door with WWE is still open for him to do that:

“I hope so. I assume so. I have a great relationship with everyone there. But I have said that I want to wrestle until I’m 40, and that’s 6 years away. So I only have 5 years to maximize whatever I want to do in this.”

Gargano on if he would still want that WrestleMania moment:

“Of course. I don’t know when or if that will come. I have said numerous times that I have a great relationship there, but what sacrifices am I going to have to make to make that happen?”

“I would hate to be on the road and miss Quill’s first word or walking for the first time. Me and Candice only plan to have one kid, so we only have this one shot.”

If you use any portion of the quotes from this article please credit Chris Van Vliet with a h/t to for the transcription. Also, be sure to subscribe to “Insight with Chris Van Vliet” on your mobile device by clicking here if you have an iOS device or here on your Android device.

Got a news tip? Send us an email at
Follow us on FacebookInstagram - Twitter

To Top