As previously reported, WWE had originally hoped to have The Rock make an appearance at Sunday’s Survivor Series event as it marked the 25th anniversary of his promotional debut with the company in 1996.
Over the summer, it was first reported that The Rock was planned to be at the show. However, reports later came out stating that would not be happening. Andrew Zarian of the Mat Men Podcast published a report on F4Wonline.com today outlining the original plans for The Rock.
Back in July, Zarian was told the show would be centered around The Rock as the timing was perfect as he would be promoting his new “Red Notice” movie on Netflix, as well as the company celebrating his anniversary. WWE brought in Netflix, NBCU, and FOX executives for the show.
Zarian said that one source told him that WWE had hopes for The Rock to appear on Monday’s Raw as well, but that was dependent on his schedule.
In September, Zarian was then informed that The Rock wouldn’t be at the show. Things came down to The Rock’s filming schedule and needing to quarantine for travel.
There was still hope among fans that he could appear on the broadcast in a pre-taped promo segment. While The Rock couldn’t make it to the show, WWE still had a financial obligation to continue with plans to promote “Red Notice.”
Last night during a backstage segment, it looked like Vince McMahon planted the seeds for a possible match between The Rock and Roman Reigns as McMahon was showing off the “Cleopatra’s egg” he received as a gift from The Rock. The egg ended up going missing, which will play out on tonight’s Raw.
The chances of the match happening at WrestleMania 38 next year don’t look good because of The Rock’s filming schedule but it’s looking more likely that fans will see Rock vs. Reigns in 2023 at WrestleMania 39 in Los Angeles.