Connect with us

Photo Credit: WWE


WWE News

Rumor killer on AJ Styles-WWE contract situation

Following last night’s episode of WWE Monday Night Raw, there was a lot of online speculation that AJ Styles could be on his way out of WWE after he was essentially squashed by Omos.

During Wrestling Observer Radio, Bryan Alvarez asked Dave Meltzer if Styles’ deal is expiring soon. Styles debuted at the 2016 Royal Rumble pay-per-view. Meltzer said, “No, he’s not going anywhere.”

Meltzer added, “He just signed, I don’t know if it’s a 3 or a 5 [year deal]. It wasn’t that long ago when he signed it. He’s not going anywhere. He had the chance to go if he wanted to but he was not interested. There were certainly overtures made for him and they were good money overtures but he’s in his mind, I think he’s a lifer there. Whether that’s the right or wrong call, I couldn’t tell you.”

Alvarez remarked that it was probably the worst AJ Styles match he’s seen because Omos is so green. Meltzer said that Omos and Styles wrestled each other in Madison Square Garden and that match was bad too.

As previously noted, WWE is pushing Omos as this generation’s version of Andre The Giant. The company is solidly behind him and his singles push was supposed to start a few months ago but it was delayed because of the feeling that he was not ready yet to have singles matches. As last night proved, Omos has the look to be a major player but there is still work to do to bring his in-ring work up to par.

If you use any portion of the quotes from this article please credit Wrestling Observer Radio with a h/t to WrestlingNews.co for the transcription. A WrestlingObserver.com subscription includes the Wrestling Observer Newsletter and daily audio shows in addition to thousands of hours of archived audio shows.


Got a news tip? Send us an email at newstips@wrestlingnews.co
Follow us on FacebookInstagram - Twitter





Comments
To Top