WWE is reporting that Shane McMahon is currently recovering from acute diverticulitis and an umbilical hernia at a New York hospital.
McMahon has been off TV after a storyline attack by Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn. The belief was that the storyline would lead to his return next week so he could set up a WrestleMania match where he will team with Daniel Bryan.
During his absence from WWE television, McMahon and his family flew to Antigua and that is where he developed a massive infection. He was hospitalized there for several days before being flown back to New York. The WWE.com story notes that he is currently being treated with heavy doses of antibiotics and it was the doctors in New York that discovered that McMahon also suffered an umbilical hernia and he will require surgery once they have gotten the diverticulitis under control.
At this point, it’s not clear what this means for McMahon’s status at WrestleMania. We will post updates when they are available and we wish Shane a speedy and complete recovery.
Catch up on some of the trending news stories from the past 24 hours by clicking below:
- SPOILER: WWE has big plans for Samoa Joe
- WATCH: Alexa Bliss wants a match with a WWE Hall Of Famer
- Kevin Owens changes name on Twitter and loses verification
- Kenny Omega on WWE’s treatment of homosexual characters
- Reason why Daniel Bryan looked so good in the ring on SmackDown Live