Jonah Rock, aka former WWE NXT star Bronson Reed, was on Busted Open Radio today to talk about his release and what is next for him.
Here are some highlights:
Reed was asked if he was blindsided on his release:
“I was very blindsided. I was gobsmacked. It was not something I was expecting. I was actually expecting to get a call to be moved up to RAW or SmackDown, and then out of the blue, it was the release call, so yea, very surprised.”
Do you know why you got the phone call?
“I was called by John Laurinaitis, who was doing all those things at the moment. I made sure to ask, ‘Hey, why is this happening?’ He said, ‘There’s no real reason. It’s just a no for now. It leaves it up to debate. It leaves me questioning myself for the last 40 days. He did say the door is always open. Keep working, which obviously I am going to do. But, it would have been good to have some sort of insight. I did do a dark match on a Main Event taping for Vince, and the only feedback was, and I was a babyface at the time, was to smile more, which I did then in my next couple of matches. Things like that I can definitely change. In my opinion, I think maybe it’s the direction they are going in from seeing the new NXT 2.0, but I’m not 100% sure.”
Reed was asked what company does he see himself a good fit in or would like to end up in:
“I’m in talks with the major promotions at the moment. I can’t really say any which way of where I’m leaning towards, but I do think what I do offer, a 340 pound man that can go, I don’t think AEW really has that. Impact does have some bigger talent, but no one that is sort of mold either. I think I would fit in at Impact or AEW, but I’m a huge fan and have wrestled in Japan for a long time, so that is definitely somewhere I would like to work again. Granted, visas, immigration, and everything gets a little bit difficult at the moment. So, for me at the moment, it’s working on my immigration status, and hopefully, in the next few weeks, I’ll have an answer for the fans of where they will be able to see me.”
Reed said he did speak with Shawn Michaels after his release:
“I got to speak with Shawn right after my release. He actually texted me, very shocked, and said, ‘You have to show them that it was a mistake. Keep working. It was not something we saw coming.’ I was speaking with him at the previous tapings about future storylines, and where we were headed. In my mind, creative already had plans for me until the end of the year.”
Reed was asked if he saw that there was going to be a big change in the NXT brand:
“We were told a few weeks prior that there was going to be a change. What it was going to be, we weren’t too sure. We were told the direction was they were looking for younger talent, but myself, I only just last month had my birthday. I am 33 years old. I’m not too old yet. We were told they were looking for younger talent and athletes rather than independent wrestlers. A bunch of us main TV guys were brought into a room and given that sort of discussion. That was from Hunter and Shawn, and they did seem a little taken aback that obviously, Vince is going to start taking more control of NXT. That’s what we were told, but I didn’t think it was going to be a whole overhaul of how the show looks and everything.”
If you use any portion of the quotes from this article please credit Busted Open Radio with a h/t to WrestlingNews.co for the transcription. Busted Open Radio can be heard on SiriusXM's Fight Nation (Channel 156), Monday through Saturday from 9 am to Noon eastern.