Jinder Mahal survived Battleground with the WWE Championship still around his waist. He might be India’s hero, but Jinder still needed some help. The Great Khali made his WWE return in Philly to assist Mahal in winning the Punjabi Prison Match. The WWE Universe was stunned (unless you read the spoilers) but now people are left wondering what is going to happen next.
Bryan Alvarez noted on Wrestling Observer Live that this appearance by The Great Khali was probably the beginning of a short program featuring The Punjabi Playboy. Alvarez went on to give a pretty blunt explanation why WWE was taking this tactic in their creative direction.
“Jinder Mahal beat Randy Orton in a Punjabi Prison match when the Great Khali returned,” Bryan Alvarez said. “You heard me right, The Great Khali is back for the moment. I don’t think it’s a one-off. I do think they’re going to be doing some sort of tag match at SummerSlam. Why? I mean I know why. Because Jinder Mahal — you’ll be stunned — is not getting over in India. So they’re bringing back a guy who is actually a star from India as they desperately try to sell Network subscriptions in a country where they continually mention 1.3 billion people of whom the vast majority are poor. So… oh whatever.”
If WWE could book Jinder in a tag match at SummerSlam it would certainly be a good way to keep the title on him for even longer without them having to try and figure out a better way. WWE might be keeping SmackDown’s top title on The Modern Day Maharaja until they tour India. There was an initial thought they would be getting over there in September but no official word has been announced just yet. Of course, Baron Corbin is very unpredictable with that Money In The Bank Briefcase and The Lone Wolf could strike at any moment.
The Singh Brothers and Khali could always team up to protect The Great Khali even more in the match, but only time will tell which way they’re going to go with this one. But WWE needs to make their decision quickly because there are only four weeks until The Biggest Party Of The Summer.
It’s been a busy week full of news. If you’d like to catch up on some of the top stories from this week, check out some of the links below:
- WATCH: AJ Styles throws out first pitch at Phillies baseball game
- Two Japanese pro wrestlers involved in stabbing incident
- WATCH: Roman Reigns is back to putting Braun Strowman through a table
- Alberto El Patron reportedly no longer suspect in domestic violence investigation
- John Cena knows his days in WWE are numbered, wanted to be free agent
- Paige could be fired from WWE because of those possible battery charges
- Alberto El Patron stepping down from Combate Americas amidst recent controversy
- UFC’s Jeff Novitzky shoots down reports on Brock Lesnar re-entering USADA testing pool
- It turns out Jason Jordan didn’t even know he was Kurt Angle’s son
- Update on possible mystery opponents for Breezango at Battleground
- WWE reportedly has some big plans for Chad Gable