Here is the latest on Rey Mysterio’s talks with WWE.
Following the announcement last week that he would be in WWE 2K19, the speculation has increased and it seems like it is just a matter of when and not if he will return to the company.
However, the video game deal is done separately by the folks at 2K Sports although WWE does give their blessing like they have done with previous legends that were featured either in the game or on the cover.
The video game deal usually opens the door for a WWE return similar to how video game deals helped get Bill Goldberg and Ultimate Warrior back in their good graces. Sting being featured on the cover was what got him back in for his short run and a WrestleMania match.
In Mysterio’s case, the doors are already open and things are cordial on both sides. In the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer said that he would go as far to say as “I strongly expect it to happen in relatively short order.”
He also said that the impression he has gotten is that Mysterio and WWE are close on money terms and the number of dates he will be working. It’s no secret that Mysterio want to work a limited schedule because he wants to spend time with his family and likely because his body cannot handle a full-time road schedule at this point.
If a deal is announced within the next few weeks then it would be interesting to see what that means for the All In show in September because he is booked for that show.
Last week, Cody Rhodes acknowledged the possibility of WWE signing away talent advertised for All In but his tweet came off like it was directed at talent looking to go to NXT, which is clearly not where Mysterio will be when he returns to WWE.
That’s a possibility. Everybody has different goals. If your goal is to take a meet/greet style handshake photo, and pretend to be excited about going back to wrestling school…that’s your prerogative ha. https://t.co/mDMQ6FQNfc
— Cody Rhodes (@CodyRhodes) June 24, 2018