The original plan for the Royal Rumble, Finn Balor vs. Brock Lesnar for the WWE Universal Championship, has been scrapped. That is the latest update from Dave Meltzer in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter. The Balor vs. Lesnar match was still the plan as of this past weekend, which is why last week when Paul Heyman was putting over AJ Styles also made a point to put over Balor.
When Kane squashed Balor a couple of weeks ago on Raw, that was the first sign that Vince McMahon was giving up on him. The next week he was chokeslammed and was treated like an afterthought. Then, he was treated like an afterthought in the 5 vs. 5 men’s match at Survivor Series. That might have been the day that McMahon made up his mind. The next day is when McMahon made the call to go in another direction so there is no word on who Lesnar will face at the Rumble pay-per-view. The reason why McMahon gave up on Balor as a challenger for Lesnar? Meltzer said that it’s because he felt that Balor was not over enough for his position.
There are different ideas being pitched but nothing has been set in stone. They have a few weeks to figure things out and I would presume that we will know Lesnar’s next opponent by the end of December or the first Raw in January.
Balor, seemingly in reference to what was reported in the Observer, posted this on Twitter:
— Finn Bálor (@FinnBalor) November 23, 2017
Check out some of the trending wrestling news stories below:
- Major name says he’s like to return to WWE with a full-time schedule
- Monday Night Raw on the FOX Network?
- WWE news on John Cena and why he was eliminated early at Survivor Series
- Finn Balor could be the next Daniel Bryan for the wrong reason
- Reason why Roman Reigns won the IC Title from The Miz