There are still many questions within WWE on how many people have tested positive and some wrestlers are unhappy with the company because the feeling among some is that the company could have done more to minimize the COVID-19 exposure risk.
PWInsider’s Mike Johnson reported that the test failures could be somewhere in the “two dozen range.” I was told today that rumors of more than 30 test failures are inaccurate and that some of the high numbers being floated around are exaggerated.
Masks have not been mandated despite the fact that a source indicated to me early Friday that everyone at SmackDown was wearing a mask. As seen on Friday’s show, only some “fans” were wearing masks while others were allowed not to wear one. News of WWE still planning on running live shows at the end of July will fuel speculation that McMahon is not taking the pandemic seriously. Bryan Alvarez on Wrestling Observer Live said that he has heard that McMahon’s mindset is that the virus is more like the flu. That is a similar mindset that UFC’s Dana White and Donald Trump have.
Alvarez said, “Vince McMahon has never said anything publicly about what he thinks about the coronavirus. He’s never said anything publicly … I have heard from multiple sources that Vince does not think that this is all that bad. I hesitate to even say that. I’m not sitting here saying that he outright thinks its a hoax or whatever.”
This may explain why McMahon has not asked for COVID-19 tests for his staff and wrestlers until a developmental talent tested positive a couple of weeks ago. There were multiple tests administered this week when multiple people tested positive. Up until a couple of weeks ago, WWE was only doing temperature checks.
Alvarez continued, “there’s a lot of people in this country that still believe, at worst, it’s a bad flu. The impression that I have been given from people within the company is that’s Vince’s mindset.”
Kevin Owens posted a video today (see below) explaining why masks are important and he opted to stay home last week out of caution. Unfortunately, there are several people in WWE among the staff and talent that are not taking the pandemic seriously. Until masks, limits on building capacity and social distancing are taken seriously, it looks like another outbreak is inevitable.
Let’s try this. pic.twitter.com/SJXJSpNfd7
— Kevin (@FightOwensFight) June 29, 2020