The recent outbreak of a viral infection in the WWE roster hit them pretty hard. The crisis on the Raw roster caused WWE to rewrite much of their TLC pay-per-view.
In a pinch, WWE needed to figure out who could replace Bray Wyatt and Roman Reigns on the show. While Kurt Angle’s return to replace Roman Reigns might have been a logical decision, it was a very last-minute choice, to say the least.
But AJ Styles wasn’t the first choice to replace Bray Wyatt. It turns out WWE tried at least one other huge wrestling Superstar before they landed on jumping the gun with a Balor vs Styles match at TLC.
Dave Meltzer said in the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter that Chris Jericho received a call from WWE to replace Bray Wyatt at TLC. He was unable to make the show however because he was touring with his band Fozzy. But we have to assume it was a tempting offer and Y2J might have made the show if he didn’t already have prior commitments.
Catch up on some of the latest WWE news stories below:
- Hulk Hogan getting a makeover?
- Bully Ray has another message for the Impact Wrestling locker room
- Kevin Owens’ wife provides an update
- WWE looking at other options besides John Cena as special referee for Brock Lesnar vs. Jinder Mahal
- Paige had something to say about Alexa Bliss’ promo on Raw