“I’ve heard that there’s more to come, Meltzer said, “I was told that there would be releases and then [I was told] no one is getting released. It kind of goes back and forth on what they’re gonna do. There’s people who’ve asked for their release that were not released…”
As most of you know by now, the wrestlers who were released on Sunday had asked to be released. In Luke Harper’s case, he asked for his release several months ago. There are others who have asked to be released but it has not been granted yet.
On Mike Bennett (Kanellis), Meltzer said, “Everyone I’ve heard from has said Mike Bennett has done everything they’ve asked.” Meltzer did not elaborate on what WWE asked Bennett but it’s worth noting that Bennett has been complimentary of the company in recent interviews and has downplayed speculation that he was unhappy about his recent storyline with wife Maria Kanellis.
Meltzer previously noted that Vince McMahon was against releasing wrestlers but others in the company felt that it would be better to let unhappy wrestlers go. I was told that part of the reason why McMahon opted to release wrestlers on Sunday was that it frees up money that can be used to sweeten the offers for mid and upper card wrestlers who are thinking about leaving and have contracts expiring soon.
There are a few names to keep an eye on in the next couple of months. Rey Mysterio has an opt-out clause in his contract that would let him leave before his 2-year deal expires and The Revival’s deal is set to expire in a few months. They have not signed a new contract but WWE very much wants to keep them away from AEW. Kairi Sane’s contract is also up in February.
All of the wrestlers that were released on Sunday would be free agents on March 8. Harper seems to be the most likely to get an offer from All Elite Wrestling.