WWE Universal Champion Brock Lesnar returned on this week’s episode of Monday Night Raw to address the challenge issued by WWE Champion Jinder Mahal for Survivor Series.
It will be a non-title match but there are plans to add a special referee so that should make things interesting. On Tuesday’s Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer said that they are considering adding John Cena as the special referee but he is not locked in. Cena was originally advertised for Survivor Series but his name was pulled a few weeks ago.
Meltzer also said that WWE has been considering other names but they might not want to do the match so Cena may end up getting the slot by default. The idea is to put someone in the match that would add some intrigue. The only names that come to mind are Bill Goldberg and The Undertaker but Lesnar has already moved on from those feuds. Cena seems to be the most logical choice because, if the plan is for him to face Mahal at WrestleMania, then this would be the time to plant the seeds for that match with Cena, perhaps, costing Mahal the match.
As of now, Cena is not scheduled to appear on WWE TV for the remainder of 2018. He is scheduled for live events on 12/26 (NYC), 12/27 (Uniondale, NY), 12/28 (Hartford, CT), 12/29 (Albany, NY), 12/30 (Tampa, FL).
Catch up on some of the latest WWE news stories below:
- WWE already planning for an AJ Styles vs. Finn Balor rematch?
- Impact Wrestling terminates their business relationship with Jeff Jarrett
- William Regal has a message for all wrestlers following the excellent AJ Styles vs. Finn Balor match at WWE TLC
- Daniel Bryan reacts to Kurt Angle’s return to the ring at WWE TLC
- WWE has big plans for Finn Balor