There was apparently a change in plans for whatever WWE had planned to explain Roman Reigns pulling out of WrestleMania.
This week on WWE Friday Night SmackDown, Michael Cole announced that Braun Strowman would be facing Universal Champion Goldberg at WrestleMania. It was said quickly and Cole did not say anything on why Reigns pulled out of the show.
WWE has received a lot of criticism this week for continuing to promote Reigns for the show even though they knew early last week that he was pulling out. However, Triple H was on Ariel Helwani’s MMA podcast this week and hinted that the reason why WWE did not acknowledge that Reigns was off the show was because things needed to play out on SmackDown.
Triple H said, “Roman has his situation and his reasons for doing the things that he’s doing. I will say from our standpoint and the storyline standpoint, it’s going to play out in a unique manner and we want it to play out that way.”
He continued, “I don’t want to give away the ending of the movie before the movie takes place. So I just think everybody just has to watch and kind of see how this unfolds but it will unfold in a unique way and I think it will be meaningful.”
So, what happened? WWE has not commented but it looks like something was planned and it was edited off the show. Reigns noted earlier this week that he had his reasons for pulling out and indicated that he has kids and an older person living with him that he needs to worry about. None of that was referenced on SmackDown.
Click here for WrestleMania news and rumors.