Austin Aries is gone from WWE. In a statement released by the company on Friday, they wrote, “WWE has come to terms on the release of WWE Superstar Austin Aries. WWE wishes Aries the best in all of his future endeavors.” The release is not a complete surprise since there had been hints that he was not happy with his spot in the company and he had talked about having to deal with nagging injuries.
Last month he did interviews with mainstream media outlets where he talked about potentially taking time off to heal up but he later denied the comments said in the interviews. He had been working at the live events up until last weekend but had not appeared on television since an episode of 205 Live where he announced that he was taking time off because of health issues. It’s not clear if that was meant to write him off TV or if there was some sort of angle planned that was nixed.
Regardless, as confirmed by the Wrestling Observer, it was Aries that requested his release and it was granted. If you read his Twitter timeline, it’s clear that he’s in a better place now and he could probably make good money on the independent scene. Shortly before the news got out, he wrote the following on Twitter: “It’s a beautiful day.”
Aries’ finance Thea Trinidad was recently signed by the company and debuted on this week’s episode of NXT as the sister of Andrade Cien Almas. Presumably, he has a 90-day non-compete so he will likely not be able to appear on another wrestling company’s TV program until the non-compete has expired. After that, I am sure promotions like ROH and GFW will be reaching out to him.
Here are some other hot news items from today:
- Click here for huge spoilers on Sunday’s WWE Great Balls Of Fire pay-per-view.
- Former TNA Wrestling head honcho Dixie Carter (yes, really) will be appearing on WWE TV for the first time. Click here to read that story.
- A WWE star is injured and needs knee surgery. Click here for more on that story.
- You’ll never guess what WWE is considering doing for the Royal Rumble. Click here for that story.
- A sad and troubling video of a former WWE Superstar has people concerned. Thankfully, WWE has stepped in to help him so hopefully, there is a happy ending. Click here to read that story.