WWE announced on Saturday that Bray Wyatt has been released. The former WWE Universal Champion was told by Head of Talent Relations John Laurinaitis that he was released due to budget cuts.
WWE had been advertising him for a few shows in August and Wyatt was preparing to return in August as a recent photo came out showing him in great shape. At the time that WWE started advertising him for appearances, it was reported that there was still no timetable for his return to performing for the company. Also, those in the company said he was being held off TV for a specific reason. It was later reported the reason was medical.
Dave Meltzer noted on today’s Wrestling Observer Radio that Wyatt had just been medically cleared to make an in-ring return.
“He was advertised for a couple of shows. So, he had been out for medical reasons and he had just gotten cleared. And I guess when he got cleared they evaluated the situation and he was told that due to budgetary reasons that he’s being cut.
The basic gist is that he’s another high contract guy..whatever…whether it’s because it’s concerns over the medical reasons is the real reason or they could not come up with an idea to justify his salary, I don’t know which of that it is, but, you know, that’s the basic deal with him.”
With Wyatt likely having a 90-day non-compete clause, he won’t be able to show up on another wrestling show until the end of October.