As previously reported, Sullivan was supposed to attack John Cena and that would have been the explanation on why Cena was going to be out of the Rumble. A couple of weeks before the planned angle, Sullivan flew home after suffering an anxiety attack and we haven’t heard much about him since then. Sullivan’s angle with Cena was supposed to lead to a match at WrestleMania but at this point, there’s no word on if that match is still on the table.
The company has been understanding of his situation and he was told that he would be welcome back when he’s ready. On Sunday’s Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer said that WWE was hoping to have him back last Monday Night on Raw.
“The guy they wanted to make in the Superstar but he was not gonna win the Rumble was Lars Sullivan,” Meltzer said. “They really wanted him back last Monday and obviously, he was not back so I don’t know what’s going on. Well, he’s not ready to be back, that’s all. I don’t anticipate him not being with the company but as each week goes by, the idea of him wrestling John Cena gets slimmer and slimmer. It may even be out the window right now, I don’t know.”
Cena is filming a movie so if WWE wants to continue with the angle, they may need to wait until production wraps up because it seems unlikely that the production company would want their main actor to risk getting injured before they are done filming.
It’s worth noting that a tweet sent out last week by “social media representative” William Christensen on Sullivan’s account has been deleted. The tweet said that Sullivan was in a “good place.”
“There has been a lot of speculation about Lars recently,” the now-deleted tweet read. “It’s true, he went missing several weeks ago and I was just able to contact him this morning. Lars wants everyone to know he is in a good place, and is sorry to everyone he’s disappointed. Best, WC.”
If you use any quotes from this article, please credit the Wrestling Observer website with an h/t to WrestlingNews.co for the transcription