There is a lot of speculation on what will happen during the WWE Championship match at SummerSlam. As many of you saw last week on Smackdown Live, Shinsuke Nakamura pinned John Cena clean to earn his shot at Jinder Mahal. There is speculation that Nakamura will win the title at SummerSlam and then immediately lose it when Baron Corbin cashes his Money In The Bank briefcase.
We don’t know if that will happen but The Wrestling Observer newsletter reports that earlier this year, WWE wanted to groom Corbin for the title later in the year. However, those were the plans they had before they decided to put the title on Mahal because of their expansion into India. So, for that reason, it wouldn’t make business sense to take the title off of Mahal until after they tour India. Mahal noted in an interview that they are working on setting up a tour of India.
If you missed it, click here to see Baron Corbin attack Nakamura after Smackdown Live went off the air. This was not a dark match segment because WWE made sure to post the footage on their website and on social media so it is clear that they want fans to know that Corbin and Nakamura are feuding at the same time that Nakamura is starting a feud with Mahal.
Meanwhile, on the Raw side, everyone (including the wrestlers) is being kept in the dark on the finish for the Universal Championship match. For more on that story, click here.
Catch up on some of the top news stories from the weekend by clicking below:
- Almost everyone (including the participants) being kept in the dark on SummerSlam main event finish
- Road Dogg’s interesting tweet on Eva Marie’s departure, Braun Strowman heat?
- WWE pulls offer to sign one of the best wrestlers in the world
- More details on how AJ Styles reacted backstage after his match with Kevin Owens at WWE Battleground
- Jason Jordan ribbed backstage at Raw
- New details on what caused Roman Reigns to kick Enzo Amore off the WWE talent bus