Battleground was a weird show. It was not only capped off by a Punjabi Prison Match which saw the return of The Great Khali (for one night so far) but it also featured one of the screwiest finishes we’ve seen in a while during the US Title match.
Kevin Owens rolled AJ Styles up for a pin after a ref bump and the dazed referee counted to three. KO won the US Title once again but many people were left wondering what was really going on. The ref seemed to hesitated before throwing his hand down a third time leaving some to wonder if it was planned.
We reported Vince McMahon changed the match finish in the middle of the contest. But new reports seem to conflict this previous story. While some are sticking to the notion Vince changed his mind, others are placing the blame on The Phenomenal One.
The Wrestling Observer Newsletter says they are receiving different reports from people who are usually in the know about these things. Some say Vince changed the match so it would make more sense for Chris Jericho to return on the next SmackDown Live (for one night so far) and try to take KO’s title instead of AJ’s. Still others are saying Styles was supposed to kick out of the roll-up pin but he just didn’t.
The feeling backstage at the time when it happened was they saw a botched finish and AJ Styles was said to be very unhappy about the way it all went down. This controversy has to be why the current program with KO and AJ is centered around Kevin getting his shoulder up but the ref counting anyway. Therefore Daniel Bryan decided he was going to appoint a referee who knew what he was doing (and could take a bump) in Shane McMahon.
So Kevin Owens and AJ Styles will get another shot at SummerSlam, let’s hope they have a better result since they have a new referee in the mix.
It’s been a busy week full of news. If you’d like to catch up on some of the top stories from this week, check out some of the links below:
- What is WWE planning for Jinder Mahal vs Shinsuke Nakamura at SummerSlam?
- SPOILER: Is Brock Lesnar really leaving WWE after SummerSlam?
- Matt Hardy says the “Awakening and Enlightenment has begun,” big things could be on the way
- Is Jon Jones looking for a big WWE payday with Brock Lesnar feud?
- (Updated) Championship contender for SummerSlam possibly injured on Raw
- Austin Aries’ hilarious reaction to Shinsuke Nakamura’s WWE Title shot at SummerSlam
- WATCH: Matt Hardy says “it’s happening” and makes huge Broken reference
- JBL confirmed story about Enzo Amore’s backstage heat on Bring It To The Table, says he won’t last long
- John Cena lands lead role in Transformers spin-off “Bumblebee” movie
- WATCH: Chris Jericho in heated F-Bomb altercation in New York City
- Bram lost his cool during an indie match and destroyed Ravie Davie’s face
- A stripper writes about her experience with a “high” and “stuck up” Enzo Amore
- Why was Edge & Christian’s WWE Network show canceled, more cuts on the way?