Shelton Benjamin brought the Gold Standard to WWE for nearly ten years starting in 2000 but he’s been off doing his own thing since then. It appears as though Shelty hasn’t lost his step either because he’s been keeping plenty busy.
There were obvious plans to bring Shelton Benjamin back to WWE in order to boost SmackDown’s roster after they changed to a weekly live show. WWE even went as far as to show promos hyping Shelton’s return to WWE.
However, Benjamin never signed an actual contract because while doing his physical for WWE they discovered a torn rotator cuff he had actually been working on for a while at that point. This injury required surgery and on March 30th Shelton was finally cleared for a return to the ring. But he was still a free agent and had no WWE contract.
Dave Meltzer reported in the recent issue of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that no deal has been signed to bring Shelton back at this point. His exact words on the matter were: “even though it has been reported differently and even reported with me as the source, those in WWE say that Shelton Benjamin has not signed a deal with the company as of earlier in the week.”
But if you don’t want to believe that then you’re not alone. Because Ryan Satin from Pro Wrestling Sheet is outright refuting that report by saying his sources indicate a deal to bring Shelton Benjamin is already settled. We’ll have to wait and see what happens but one thing’s for sure WWE could always use someone like Shelty.
Did the Observer report that Shelton Benjamin hasn't signed with WWE? If so, that's false. My sources say his deal is now done.
— Ryan Satin (@ryansatin) July 13, 2017
Of course, both Dave and Ryan could be right if Shelty has signed a contract in the past 24 hours.
It’s been a busy week full of news. If you’d like to catch up on some of the top stories from this week, check out some of the links below:
- WWE star has backstage heat, gets kicked off talent bus by Roman Reigns
- WWE star has heat over his political views and strong support for Donald Trump
- Triple H invites Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather to appear on Raw
- Jinder Mahal bringing Punjabi Prison to next week’s SmackDown Live, Raw Superstar to work SmackDown live event
- WATCH: Baron Corbin breaks character to console a child after making him cry
- Diamond Dallas Page responds to Vader’s claim that DDP told him he was not welcome at his Performance Center
- Matt Hardy to Anthem: “it’s gonna get terribly nasty. We have lots to expose” if legal issues do not wrap up soon
- Who is the mystery person in Kurt Angle’s life that he loves?
News from The Wrestling Observer website was used in this post. For more on this story please visit WrestlingObserver.com. Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez’ WrestlingObserver.com is the leading source for professional wrestling news. Click here for subscription information. Members get exclusive access to insider news from Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez, daily audio shows, breaking news audio, the Wrestling Observer newsletter, newsletter archives, thousands of hours of archived radio shows, and much more.