If you are wondering why Dolph Ziggler returned in the men’s Royal Rumble match without explanation, it’s because he was not originally booked for that match and it was a late decision. In fact, there were a couple of different ideas for Bobby Roode’s United States Open Challenge match. Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter noted on Sunday that the word in WWE was that Roode’s opponent was supposed to be a surprise name. Mojo Rawley was not in the original plans.
Ziggler’s name was in the plans at one point but Vince McMahon changed his mind. There were plans to do a ladder match with Ziggler making the claim that he wanted his title back.
Ziggler will be back on this week’s episode of Smackdown Live so hopefully, we will get a storyline explanation on why he “quit” and why he returned on Sunday.
Check out some of the trending wrestling news stories below:
- WWE news on why The Undertaker seemed a bit off during his ‘Raw 25’ promo
- A ‘WWE Raw 25’ segment was originally supposed to take place at the Manhattan Center
- The real reason why WWE fired Enzo Amore
- Matt Hardy to undergo another transformation?
- WWE star injured with a torn ACL