The Cruiserweight Championship situation was finally addressed this week on 205 Live. At the start of the show, Daniel Bryan introduced Drake Maverick, who most fans would recognize as former Impact Wrestling star Rockstar Spud. The fans immediately recognized him and there was a “Spud” chant. The announcers briefly mentioned that he used to be known as Rockstar Spud.
Maverick is the new 205 Live General Manager and his first order of business was to announced that the Cruiserweight Championship would be decided with a 16-man tournament. The new champion will be crowned at WrestleMania in New Orleans.
Before he introduced Spud, Bryan said that he wanted 205 Live to go back to more action like the Cruiserweight Classic tournament that aired during the summer of 2016. I guess this is WWE’s latest attempt to freshen up the brand since the main complaint about the show is that the wrestlers are held back in the ring and there is too much storyline instead of action.
— WWE (@WWE) January 31, 2018
Check out some of the trending wrestling news stories below:
- Ronda Rousey and WWE went through a lot of trouble to keep her debut a secret
- SPOILER: WWE news on two more names expected to be inducted in the 2018 Hall Of Fame
- Hulk Hogan didn’t do himself any favors with Women’s Royal Rumble tweet
- Details on Rey Mysterio’s WWE return
- Why Jason Jordan didn’t wrestle much at the Royal Rumble