MAJOR UPDATE: Click here for a huge update on the new title and the match that will determine the first champion.
ORIGINAL: There are plans to create another championship. This time it will be for the NXT brand. The new belt will be called the NXT North American Championship and the plans are for a match at Takeover: New Orleans (during WrestleMania weekend) to crown the champion.
This news comes after it was reported this week that there are plans to add another title to the 205 Live brand after WrestleMania. Click here for more on that story.
There were different versions of the North American Championship that existed in promotions in the 1970’s and 1980’s including the NWA, WWC in Puerto Rico, Stampede Wrestling, and in the World Wide Wrestling Federation. The WWWF North American Championship is considered to be the precursor to that Intercontinental Championship, a title that was “won” by Pat Patterson in a fictitious tournament in Rio De Janeiro.
Catch up on some of the trending news stories from the past 24 hours by clicking below:
- Cue the CM Punk rumors…City and venue announced for Bullet Club’s “All In” show
- Why Renee Young missed Raw this week
- Jonathan Coachman named in sexual harassment lawsuit
- WWE has plans for dual-branded Money In The Bank matches
- Current WWE Superstar responds to question about joining the Bullet Club
Click here and join the discussion on our brand new forum!